The Serpentine Studies curriculum is a well thought out and highly intelligent training program, taking out all the guess-work, saving you many hours of not knowing where to start or what to do next, and eliminating unnecessary training time. It really is the epitome of 'train smarter, not harder'.
All training components are uploaded in chronological order and comes with recommendations for when to do this component and for how long.
If you have any questions during the course you can leave a comment under the videos, or in the private facebook group created especially for enrolled students.
The course is jam-packed with extra wisdom pertaining to the dance journey aside from the video instructions.
Serpentine Studies starts at the very beginning, by meticulously breaking down and drilling all the fundamental movements.
Level one then takes you on your journey from complete beginner, all the way to intermediate dancer, by gradually increasing the difficulty level and putting together all the separate little movements that you've learned in the beginners course.
Where most teachers tend to take bigger steps and leaps often introducing combinations of movements straight after learning the basics, Serpentine Studies believes that only infinite patience produces immediate results. Ergo, we literally put one foot in front of the other all the way, rather than taking leaps. This guarantees knowing every single aspect of a movement which increases body awareness and body mechanics, which creates the hypnotizing organic flow that Serpentine Studies is known for.
Level 2 is for the intermediate to advanced dancer who has arrived at the point of knowing the technical side of the dance, and is ready to craft her own artistry.
In level 1 we focus on form (mastery), in level 2 we transcend form and dive into the mystery of flow states. Flow states are states of (slightly) altered consciousness where we are literally being danced. With level 1 we have paved the way, in level 2 we learn how to get in the passenger's seat and let the divine, our higher self, or our subconscious (whichever idea most appeals to you) take the wheel.
Level 2 is a combination of high level technical skills (from 3d to 4d: like the djedi the movements become smaller and yet somehow more potent), and classes that transcend skill altogether. To the beginner dancer these concepts might seem like a waste of time, and until you are ready, they are. This level is all about getting out of the way and discovering what the universe wants to express through you.
There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and will be lost.”
― Martha Graham
- Serpentine Routines: special 30 minute sessions that cover strength, flexibility, and drilling ALL the fundamentals - in a vinyasa yoga flow style to dope beats!!
- Deep Practice: how to upgrade any movement from great to this-is-unreal level (warning: my methods are rather unorthodox!)
- Masterclasses: 30-120 minute specials on a particular theme, or a tiny detail that can be a total game-changer
- Pathways: a concept unique to Serpentine Studies, the bridge between training and dancing - and my secret to FAST skill building
- Serpentine Special Effects: technique from the hiphop community to complete the serpentine style and make your dance look out of this world
- Serpentine Stretching & Strengthening: stretch like the pros do for a type of flexibility you've never known (I know this sounds very clickbait-y, but you know I don't kid around when it comes to flexibility!)
- Serpentine Studies: learn how to become your own teacher and personal trainer, hack the learning process, make *efficient* training routines for yourself *and* stick to them. The biggest obstacle to mastery (you know, besides not doing anything) is not knowing what to do, when to do it and how. Serpentine Studies lays out a map for your dance journey that you can use to navigate your own journey. Imaya also shares the exact training schedule she used when she was making the most progress!
- Fascia Masterclass: in Serpentine Studies, you'll learn all about fascia: the connective tissue that shapes your body - and this dance. You'll learn easy ways to become more flexible and feel better in your body, and how this influences your dance.